More than 500 miners from the Hunter and across NSW will be attending the 2018 NSW Minerals Council Health, Safety, Environment and Community Conference (HSEC) in the Hunter this August.
A notable date on members of the NSW mining industry’s calendar, the conference will feature a range of speakers from industry and government focusing on breakthroughs in workplace health and safety, community relations, and environmental management.
NSW Minerals Council CEO, Stephen Galilee said a highlight of the conference will be the NSW Mining Health, Safety, Environment & Community Awards, showcasing the best innovations from across the industry in NSW.
“This important annual event brings our industry together to discuss our challenges, identify innovation opportunities, and celebrate excellence. The conference is also focused on how we can continue to improve how we operate in the future,” Stephen said.
Each of the nine finalists in the awards have been chosen for their breakthroughs and achievement in workers health, mine safety, environmental sustainability and community engagement.
“As always, our award entrants are of a very high standard, demonstrating our industry’s commitment to improving our workplace and environmental practices as well as our engagement with our local mining communities,” Stephen said.
The nine finalists are:
- CS Health and Centennial Coal – Task rotation in an underground mine
- Thiess Mt Owen – Mt Owen Positively Healthy – Site Health Score
- Yancoal – Austar Coal Mine Rib Protection System
- Glencore Coal (NSW) Pty Limited – Sizer Teeth Removal Innovation
- Glencore – Ravensworth – Ravensworth, a community minded workforce
- Upper Hunter Community Services and BHP Mt Arthur Coal – Strengthening Community Resilience through Partnership
- Glencore – Ravensworth – Quantifying NO2 concentration in blast fumes using drone technology
- Yancoal – Tasman Underground Mine Rehabilitation Project
- Bengalla Mining Company – Bengalla Mine Rehabilitation of Agricultural Land
The awards dinner and conference will be held on Monday 6 August at Crowne Plaza, Hunter Valley.
IMAGE | The NSW Minerals Council Health, Safety, Environment and Community Conference.
The NSW Minerals Council is the leading industry association representing the state's minerals industry, providing a united voice for their members.
They support the development of a strong and diverse state economy and an effective regulatory framework in which the industry can operate profitably and make a meaningful contribution to the state and the people of NSW.