The first cohort of women selected to participate in a University of Newcastle initiativedesigned to redress the gender equity imbalance in senior management and executivepositions, has been announced.
Driven by the university’s Faculty of Business and Law, the Women in Master of Business Administration (WiMBA) Scholarship program has partnered with leading Hunter organisations to help grow the female talent pipeline and foster positive economic growth for the Newcastle region.
The scholarships include financial support from the university and each industry partner to cover the cost of studying the Master of Business Administration, as well as practical support and mentoring from each recipient’s employer to help them develop their post-MBA career pathway.
Faculty of Business and Law Assistant Dean, Research and Engagement, Professor Kevin Lyons, said WiMBA provided leadership skills and strategic perspective to help move female employees into senior management and executive positions.
“An MBA has a significant impact on career pathways and is particularly acute in driving middle-managers towards executive roles,” Kevin said.
“The WiMBA Scholarship is designed to promote the advancement of women who are ready to take their place among Australia’s senior corporate community.”
WiMBA program Patron Dr Eileen Doyle, who has had an exceptional career in large corporations, spanning more than three decades, will also support the scholars to progress their careers. The students will undertake their study through face-to-face mode at NeWSpace on a part-time basis over four years.
The WiMBA scholarship recipients are:
- Melissa Rowe, People and Culture Excellence Manager – Newcastle Airport Pty Ltd
- Jessica Turk, Organisational Development Specialist – NIB Health Funds
- Kate Dash, Accounting and Tax Adviser – Prosperity Advisory Group
- Fiona Hack, APAC Planning and Logistics Manager – Sandvik Mining and RockTechnology
- Rebecca Johnston, Planning Officer – Port of Newcastle
- Kirsty Jones, Water Resilience Project Manager – Hunter Water Corporation
- Carla McEntyre, Business Program Manager Service and Experience – Hunter Water Corporation.