After feedback from the local business community Singleton Council has revised its Shopfront Upgrade Rebate Program to provide greater financial assistance to businesses in selected streets to upgrade their building facade, awning and signage.
Up to $2,200 (including GST) per project will be made available on a dollar for dollar basis towards the total cost of improvements to existing shop fronts, up to a maximum amount as determined below:
- $500 to $2,000 ‚Äì maximum rebate of $550 (including GST) per rateable property.
- $2,001 to $4,000 ‚Äì maximum rebate of $1,100 (including GST) per rateable property.
- $4,001 and over ‚Äì maximum rebate of $2,200 (including GST) per rateable property.
A spokesperson for Singleton Council said the rebate can be paid to either the tenant or property owner and joint applications are encouraged.
Improvements may include:
- Painting of the fa√ßade;
- Cleaning the existing fa√ßade;
- Removal of cladding;
- The minor repair, maintenance or reinstatement of missing elements;
- Minor repairs to existing fa√ßade tile or stone accents;
- Minor repairs to structural fa√ßade elements, awnings and guttering on fa√ßade;
- Lighting enhancements;
- New signage in keeping with the scale and character of the building and conforming to Council regulations.
- Accessibility improvements including ramps, colour contrasts and doorways.
Singleton Council General Manager Lindy Hyam says Council had listened to feedback from businesses and the Singleton Business Chamber and revised its funding criteria.
“We recognised that some businesses only wanted to undertake small improvements while others were prepared to invest significant money and effort to better the appearance of their shopfront,” she says.
“We decided to implement a sliding scale so that the more a business is prepared to spend, the greater the financial assistance we will provide.”
“Shopfront improvements will enhance the appearance of businesses as well as the look and feel of the town centre,” she says. “We want to increase economic prosperity, improve competitiveness and deliver on the message that Singleton is a vibrant place where quality goods and services can be purchased.”
The program guidelines and application form can be downloaded here.