Callaghan College Jesmond Senior Campus wants their students to 'AIM Higher' when considering their futures.
To inspire this in their students, they invited local organisations and business owners to join them in a motivational empowerment day for Year 12 students.
Community & Industry Coordinator Leigh Killian said the idea was to provide a wide-range of career options through guest speakers and personal stories.
“I wanted students to really think about their future and want more for themselves,” Leigh said. “I thought that it was really important for students to hear from business and industry men and women about why they are passionate about their own careers.
“We really wanted to show students that not all career paths are a straight line and that it's okay to try a few things before you hit on that one thing that you absolutely love.
The day began with Soccerroos past captain, Paul Wade, speaking to the entire group about his experiences competing for his country and then his own personal struggle with Epilepsy and how it effected him.
“The students really enjoyed what Paul had to say, with his experiences showing them that not every career is easy, but if you're passionate and committed, you can achieve great things.”
This was followed by breakout groups, where students could hear from three guest speakers about their careers.
“We asked local businesspeople to come along and speak to small groups about the journey that led them to where they are,” Leigh said.
“All our speakers provided valuable insight, hints and tips, with all of our students taking something away from the talks.”
Businesses and guest speakers involved in the day included:
- Paul Wade, Soccerroos past captain
- Aaron Pace, University of Newcastle Student Ambassador, Bachelor of Arts (Sociology)‚Ä®
- Alison Hough, HR and Operations Manager, Myrtec
- Dan Beck, Careers Educator, Australian Business Apprenticeship Centre
- Emma Troy, Freelance Graphic Designer and Illustrator, Emma Troy Design
- Holly Martin, Owner, Just Holly | Marketing, PR, Communication
- Jess Cullen, University of Newcastle Ambassador, Bachelor of Teaching
- Jordan Butcher, Electrician
- Lachlan Harvey, University of Newcastle Student Ambassador, Bachelor of Arts (History)
- Melissa Histon, Photographer, Melissa Histon Photography
- Melissa Polwarth, External Relations and Strategy, Hunter TAFE
- Paul Niddrie, 3rd year Apprentice Chef, Rustica
- Rob Wolter, Faculty Director, Hunter TAFE‚Ä®
- Sarah Franks, University of Newcastle Ambassador, Bachelor of Nursing‚Ä®
- Ted Bassingthwaighte, Digital Media Manager, Surfest
- Wendy Pinch, Owner, Lady Tradies
- Yvonne Stanton, Area Manager, Arbonne International (Cosmetics)
Image | Melissa Histon, Emma Troy, Alison Hough, Holly Martin, Leigh Killian