The Newcastle and Hunter business community has thrown its support behind a fun, new event for the whole community to celebrate Chinese New Year as well as raise money for charity.
The Light Up Newcastle Lantern Walk is a Rotary initiative that will take place on the Newcastle Harbour Foreshore in the afternoon and evening of Saturday 21 February.
People can join Chinese dragons at either Nobbys Lighthouse at 5.45pm or the Figtree Park at Wickham at 6pm and walk to Honeysuckle. They are able to purchase a red lantern that organisers hope will create a bright red snake along the waterfront of Newcastle harbour and “light up Newcastle”.
The Lantern Walk has its origin in this year’s Rotary International theme of “Light up Rotary”. Proceeds will go to the Newcastle Mission to Seafarers to join with funds provided by Port of Newcastle to purchase a new mini transport bus.
Thanks to the business support people will also be able to enjoy:
- Chinese lion dancers, dragons, dancers, musicians, singers, marching bands, choirs around the Honeysuckle Precinct
- continuous screening of Chinese films, opera and tourism and information about the international work of Rotary on a large film screen near the Maritime Centre
- afternoon dragon boat races near the Maritime Centre between 4-6pm
- the lighting up of Newcastle Harbour by Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club yachts carrying lanterns between 7-9pm
- a water ballet by the local tugs
- fireworks at 9pm.
Lynn Mangovski, Network Development Manager at one of the sponsoring businesses, Greater Building Society, said the event is a great opportunity for business to help provide a fun event for the whole community and support a charity connected to the business of our Port city.
Lynn said the event is the brainchild of Hunter businesswoman Maree Gleeson who has worked tirelessly to bring it together with the help of Rotary groups. Lynn will be one of 165 volunteers from Rotary clubs from all over the local district volunteering to help at the event.
“This event is another example of what Hunter businesses, working together to benefit the community and region,” Lynn said.
Businesses and organisations joining Greater Building Society in sponsoring the event include:
- Hunter Water
- Destination NSW
- Port of Newcastle
- Port Waratah Coal Services
- Clark Shipping
- Greater Building Society
- Hexham Bowling Club
- The University of Newcastle
- The Confucius Institute at the University of Newcastle
- Singleton Diggers
- Newcastle Chiropractic
There are a number of other businesses supporting the event along with Newcastle City Council and Hunter Development Corporation.
The event is free. Lanterns will be for sale from 4-8pm at harbourside locations indicated on this map as well as Nobbys Lighthouse and the Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club. They cost $5 or $10.
- What | Light Up Newcastle Lantern Walk
- Where | Newcastle Foreshore ‚Äì Honeysuckle Precinct
- When | Saturday, 21 February 21 2015
- Time | 4pm to 8pm (fireworks at 9pm)