For many employers the start of a new year brings with it new opportunities. Business owners are often keen to capitalise on their employee’s fresh perspective and recharged energy levels that come from a well-earned break.
Anna Campbell, an expert in the field of nutrition and exercise physiology and Director of HealtheCo, a local company specialising in Corporate Wellness Assessments provides advice to businesses on how to keep their workforce healthy, alert and productive all year round.
“Everyone loves to take a break from work and get some balance back into their lives. However, if not managed properly it does not take long for work days to draw out and lunch breaks to once again become a thing of the past,” Anna said.
“The performance of a business is closely linked to its staff- their productivity, morale and wellbeing. Yet working longer hours does not necessarily lend itself to an industrious workforce in the long term.”
Anna suggests its time that businesses start investing more in the wellbeing of their employees and encouraging a good work-life balance, as a happy and healthy workforce can pay dividends.
“As a former corporate employee I know how easy it is to lose focus of your own health and wellbeing, when you spend so much time getting good outcomes for clients. The downside is you burn out and subsequently the quality of your work begins to drop.”
Anna advises that with sound advice and strategies in place, there are simple and cost-effective ways for businesses to ensure their workforce remains refreshed and focused all year round.
- Employers ensuring their employees take their lunch break and are encouraged to get outside and be active. Group walking, yoga, Pilates, swimming, personal training and meditation are all effective ways to revitalise a tired mind.
- Consider offering shower facilities for employees who wish to workout at lunch.
- Replace processed snacks such as biscuits and chocolates with fruit, nuts and other healthy options.
- Ensure there are numerous cold water fountains around the office. If you can, take it a step further and replace sugary drinks with sparkling and still water.
- Host workplace seminars to educate employees on healthy eating, stress management and maintaining balance.
- Offer an employee assistance or buddy program to help staff manage stress.
- Offer confidential Wellness Assessments to employees, assisting them to consider their current health status and gain professional recommendations.
“The aim is to ensure the post-holiday glow of your employees doesn’t have to last for only the month of January,” Anna concluded.
Image | Anna Campbell, director of HealtheCo
HealtheCo is an innovative health and wellness consultancy, passionate about promoting a healthy lifestyle, not a fad. We work with you to guide the transformation of your life through a holistic approach to wellbeing providing sound advice on nutrition, rehabilitation and exercise.
All HealtheCo staff are university educated and industry accredited. HealtheCo offers one-off and ongoing assessments. Our consistent, supportive and collaborative approach enables us to identify any adjustments that need to be made to the prescribed program and monitoring of goals to ensure clients remain committed.
Getting great results is at the core of everything we do. We customise our services to suit clients' individual needs, lifestyle and goals. Whether you are after a major life overhaul, or a few minor adjustments to help you perform at your optimum, we encourage you to contact us and learn more.